When I refer to “social login” I am referring to login with Facebook, login with Twitter etc … There are many more options for this however, my primary focus will be towards the login with Facebook because of personal experience and ease of setup.
There is a long list of reasons why you should be using such features and in this post I will go over some of these reasons.
- Registration can be a pain in the butt. Some people will actually get tired of having to come up with login information every time they want to join a new site. For this reason alone it can cause them to leave the site and never sign up at all. Sure, some use the same login information for every site but that is not always the case. In addition to that, the registration process alone can be frustrating, long registration forms, confirming their email with an activation email that they might never even get etc… just having to go through this same process over and over again can be frustrating to some people and they just leave your site which means you just lost a customer.
- Genuine information. In a lot of case and for many reasons, some people provide fake information when they sign up. Some provide fake names etc .. and as should be obvious, you don’t want that. They may even provide an email that is not their primary email and never gets look at, this of course you definitely don’t want. With social logins such as login with Facebook, in most cases, you are getting the persons real information, real name, primary contact email etc… Not having someones primary contact email is like sending a letter in the mail to an address that don’t even exist or sending it to a empty house even.
- It’s simple. Everyone wants simple, no doubt. It doesn’t get much easier than social logins. People can join your site simply by clicking a button. They can login to your site simply by clicking a button. What more can you ask for? Simplicity is a major key and providing people with an easier way to access your site is a plus.
- No invalid emails and unactivated accounts. If you have a lot of people joining your site then you are bound to run into some who provide an invalid email or some who never even activate their account. The reasons for this are many however, you end up with a wasted signup that is costing you money.
- Increase signups. Social logins without a doubt, increase signups. Think about it, millions of people from around the world use Facebook and to provide those people access to your site through something they already have, well, that speaks for itself, or at least it should, think about it. Many go through great lengths to increase signups and even spend a great deal of extra cash to make that happen. If you are not a programmer, sure social logins will cost some money to have it programmed into your site however, the long term returns on social logins are massive!
The more I think about it the more reasons I seem to come up with on why to use social logins. If you are not using social logins on your sites then, simply put, you are missing out. I added a Facebook login to SocialSurf4U.com awhile back and was really shocked with the results. I like to see more people to benefit from this so afterwards I converted this to a mod for the LFMTE. Of course I can easily set this up on just about any membership type site as well.
If you are looking to increase signups to your sites. If you are just looking to make things easier for your customers. Having a social login on your site is definitely a step forward in the right direction. After experiencing it myself firsthand, I don’t know how I went so long without using it.